Avocado and chocolate in the same sentence??? Kind of hard to get your head around isn’t it? Can you think of any nicer way to eat something healthy and good for you than in a chocolate mousse??? Bring it on, I hear you say! Any time I mention the words avocado and chocolate in the same sentence, people turn their noses up BUT they are people who have never tried it. It is also possibly the quickest, simplest and healthiest chocolate mousse there is. I am sure you don’t need me to tell you that avocados are packed full of vitamins and minerals, have the least amount of sugar per serving of any fruit and contain fibre so they keep you feeling full for longer i.e. in theory should prevent us reaching for the biscuit tin! They are high in fat, but in monounsaturated fat, which is a “good” fat that helps lower bad cholesterol (don’t eat too many though!). I have a ‘system’ for buying avocados as the ones in the supermarket are rarely ripe enough to eat straight away. This drives me mad so to get around this I buy 2 / 3 avocados every week and leave them in the fruit bowl, then when they ripen (i.e. no longer rock hard!), I put them in the fridge to stop them ripening any further. I have them for breakfast with eggs or smoked salmon, for lunch / dinner make guacamole with them, just add to a salad or smash them on toast (not all on the same day!). Using them to make this chocolate mousse however is by far the nicest way to eat them – the two little pots in the picture were made from 1 ripe avocado and took just 5 mins to make.
The recipe below is the basic recipe but feel free to be creative using your own favourite flavours / toppings – for example you could add some espresso powder to the mousse, top with a few sprinkles of sea salt, toasted chopped nuts, strawberries / raspberries / mango ……..
The recipe uses honey to sweeten it but if you are vegan you can substitute this with agave syrup but use a lesser amount (just sweeten to taste)
Preparation time: 10 mins (plus 1 hour in fridge to chill)
2 very ripe avocados
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
3-5 tablespoons of runny honey (or use agave syrup but a lesser amount)
2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- Halve the avocados, remove the stones and scoop out the flesh.
- Put the avocado into a food processor. (You can mash it all in a bowl but the food processor will give you the really smooth finish)
- Add the cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of honey or agave syrup if using.
- Taste and add more honey / agave if you like – it depends on the size of the avocados.
- Toast the desiccated coconut in a dry frying pan on a medium heat on the hob (do not take your eyes off it as it will only take 2/3 mins).
- Put the mousse into little bowls or glasses and top with the toasted coconut or your topping of choice and chill for approx 1 hour