There are few things that bring a little whoop of joy to my heart as much as when those magic words “that was soooo nice” are uttered at the dinner table. It makes all the time and effort that goes into planning and preparing a meal worthwhile. This high praise was given to the dish that I am sharing with you this week. The amazing thing about this dish is that it is one of the healthiest, leanest dinners that I cook. I adapted it from a recipe in the bestselling book from fitness coach / trainer Joe Wicks called ‘Lean in 15’ and when I made it first I thought that I would be the only one eating it. However the dish has now been upgraded to one of our regular weekday meals as both my son and daughter love it as well as myself. It’s a great post training / exercise meal with the combination of protein and carbs. When I made this particular batch I had to label the leftovers in the fridge as ‘mine‘ to prevent my dinner being ‘nicked’ and eaten before I came home! The fact that it takes approx. 30 minutes to make from start to finish also makes it a winner. It uses one of those packets of pre-cooked rice which really save on time. I always have these in stock along with those ‘straight to wok’ noodles which I find so handy for stir fries. You could add more or less rice or even leave it out altogether if you are cutting back on carbs.
PS – you will note in the instructions that the green pepper is added later than the other peppers, that is because one of my pet hates is when green veg in a stir fry turns a kind of grey colour if cooked too much. I like to cook it so that it retains it’s lovely green colour as the dish looks so much more attractive.
Preparation Time : 15 mins. Cooking Time: 15 mins
500g turkey steaks
2 cloves garlic
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper
1 medium onion
1 250g packet of Uncle Ben’s pre-cooked brown rice (or basmati rice)
1 tablespoon of mild curry powder
11/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice the peppers and onion thinly
- Chop the garlic cloves finely
- Slice the turkey steaks thinly (1cm thick)
- Heat the olive oil in a wok
- Add the onion and stir fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add the red pepper, yellow pepper and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the turkey, green pepper, add half the curry powder and cook for approx. 5 minutes until the turkey is cooked through.
- Add the rice and the remaining curry powder and cook for 2-3 minutes until all combined(taste to check flavour, add some more curry powder if you want a bigger kick!)
- If you find that the dish has got a bit dry just add a tablespoon or two of cold water