It’s been a busy few weeks with unfortunately little time for writing or blogging. My darling daughter (DD) is currently doing her Leaving Cert so blogging time has been taken over by ad hoc counselling, feeding, listening and tea making while LC mock exams were underway and various project deadlines loomed. In fairness DD is a very hard worker and the stress these kids are under is enormous so I try to do anything I can to help and food always works! I keep telling her that if you can get through the Leaving Cert you can deal with anything and will definitely have proven you can cope with pressure. That brings me to these skinny lemon cupcakes which are a perfect guilt-free treat for any occasion where comfort food is required and you can even have two at a time if you want! The recipe is from “The Hairy Dieters” i.e. from the Hairy Bikers.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Time: 10 mins to prepare and 16-18 mins in the oven
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g golden caster sugar
finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
2 large eggs
150ml low-fat natural yoghurt
2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
50ml sunflower oil
100g icing sugar
4-4½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas6.
- Line a 12-hole deep muffin tin with some non-stick paper cases or folder squares of baking parchment.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar, blueberries and lemon zest.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs with a large whisk until smooth, then beat in the yoghurt, milk and oil until well combined.
- Stir into the flour mixture with a large metal spoon until very lightly mixed.
- Working quickly, divide the batter between the paper cases.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 16-18 minutes or until the cupcakes are well risen and golden brown.
- Transfer them to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To make the lemon icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and runny.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the icing over the cupcakes and leave to set for at least 30 minutes before serving.