Ok guys, no excuses not to make this easy-peasy dessert with just 3 ingredients – chocolate, cream and eggs and a measly 207 calories per portion! Not only is it simple but it makes it into my ‘healthy eating’ category because there is no added sugar. If the fact that it is super delicious, easy to make and low in calories isn’t enough to convince you to make it then the fact that dark chocolate is also good for your heart, circulation and brain should be the deal clincher! The other bonus is that this is ready after just 2 hours in the fridge.
The only sugar in this recipe is whatever is contained in the dark chocolate itself. I used chocolate with 74% cocoa solids (from Lidl).
The recipe is adapted from a recipe contained in Rachel Allen’s book Rachel’s Favourite Foods.
Makes 6 small (50ml) glasses
120g (4½ oz) dark chocolate (min. 70% cocoa solids)
120ml (4fl oz) cream
2 eggs, separated
How to make it
- Break up the chocolate into small pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream up to the boil then turn off the heat.
- Add the chocolate to the cream and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- In a separate large clean & dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff
- Stir a quarter of the egg white into the chocolate mixture
- Gently fold in the rest of the egg white, being careful not to knock all the air out.
- Spoon into little glasses or cups
- Leave for an hour or two in the fridge to set
- Decorate / serve as you like, with a raspberry on the top, blob of whipped cream or a little gold dust.
My advice then is to hide and keep it all for yourself!
One thought on “‘Good for You’ Chocolate Mousse”