You know when you come home, hungry (in my case usually ‘hangry’!) and need food fast, well instead of dialling your local takeaway this is the perfect answer and will be on your table even faster. Tasty, quick, healthy and satisfying. I made this one with asparagus, bacon pieces and finished it with some rocket but once you have eggs in stock you can just use whatever ingredients you have e.g. chorizo, cheddar, parma ham, sausage etc etc. It is a great way to use up leftovers too.
Make sure you use a non-stick pan – I always keep one purely for omelettes, pancakes etc. Otherwise you may be scraping your dinner out of the pan!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
250g or 1 bundle of asparagus tips
75g of bacon pieces
4 large eggs
50g parmesan cheese, grated
2 tbsp chopped chives
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the asparagus in a pan of simmering salted water or steam over boiling water
- Remove after 5 mins (they need to be tender and still bright green)
- Drain, run under a cold tap and cut into pieces (approx. 1 inch)
- Heat the frying pan and cook the bacon pieces for 3 to 4 minutes (no additional oil may be needed)
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, add the asparagus, parmesan and chives, stirring well.
- Season with salt & pepper
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook gently for 3 minutes, drawing back the edges with a wooden spatula and tipping the runny egg over the edge to help it set.
- Cook over a gentle heat for 5 minutes and then place under a pre-heated grill, cooking for 2 minutes or until the top is set and lightly golden.
- Remove and serve. Enjoy!