This simple recipe is an absolute winner – quick and easy, perfect for busy weekdays but also brilliant if you are having friends over because it is absolutely delicious and looks so good. Please believe me when I say that it is a really, really simple and healthy dish that anyone could make. In fact if you are having friends round for dinner you could cook this in the oven along with the Buttermilk Roast Chicken from my last post and provide a choice of main course (or give them both!). We celebrate New Year’s Eve (also my Dad’s birthday) every year by having my extended family for a big get-together and since I discovered this recipe it has been on the menu because it is stress-free and also very popular. The lime zest in the topping is what really makes the dish zing with flavour. The topping contains brown sugar however if you are avoiding refined sugar you can leave it out and the dish will still taste great. The salmon can be served with any green veggies or a salad. I have also eaten leftovers cold the next day. The top isn’t as crispy but it still tastes delicious.
The recipe is adapted from one originally by Lorraine Pascale in ‘Home Cooking Made Easy’.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 10-15 mins
4 skinless salmon darnes
80g dried / stale breadcrumbs (gluten-free if you prefer)
Grated zest of 2-3 limes
Bunch of fresh parsley (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1 ½ tablespoons of soft light brown sugar
Knob of butter
Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
- Mix the breadcrumbs, sugar, mustard, butter, lime zest, parsley and seasoning together in a small bowl. This is a bit messy and I find the only way is to just dig in with your hands.
- Place the 4 pieces of salmon in an oven proof dish and squish an even amount of the mixture on top of each one, patting it down on the top so it sticks. Don’t worry if some mixture falls into the dish as the cooked crumbs are tasty pickings too (and look nice scattered on the plate)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on how you like your fish cooked)
- Squeeze some lime juice over the salmon before serving with your choice of green veg, salad.
How easy is that!! Enjoy.