This isn’t technically a recipe as it really just a matter of combining the ingredients. No cooking skills required and no need to stick rigidly to the quantities specified as any combination of these ingredients will result in a delicious end result. How good is that! And, as if that wasn’t enough, it’s made in minutes, i.e. real ‘fast food’. Halloumi is unlike any other cheese as it holds its shape and doesn’t melt when heated. It has a delicious salty flavour and it makes for a very quick, healthy and filling snack or lunch – it has a reasonable shelf life so it is great to have it on standby in the fridge for those days when you are starving or short of time or both (happens regularly to me). It goes very well also with fresh beetroot which you can get in vacuum packs and which is another great standby to have in the fridge as it lasts for weeks in the fridge.
Serves 2 for lunch or 4 as a starter
Time to prepare: approx. 10/15 mins.
1 ripe avocado
1 fresh lime
Fresh coriander leaves chopped
Halloumi Cheese (1 packet)
To serve: Salad leaves & dressing
How to make it:
- Cut the tomatoes* into halves and then into quarters. Remove the seeds and chop the flesh into small pieces. *If you have time remove the skin by placing the tomatoes into boiling water for approx. 30 secs at which stage the skin will just peel off.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the skin and the stone and cut the flesh into cubes.
- Place the tomato, avocado and coriander in a small bowl, add a good squeeze of lime and toss gently.
- Cut the halloumi into slices and heat a non-stick pan (no oil needed).
- Place the cheese slices onto the hot pan and fry until a nice golden colour on each side.
- Put the salad together by placing some dressed salad leaves on a plate.
- Place the avocado salsa in the centre and arrange the warm cheese slices around it.
- Bon appétit!